This section describes how to deploy vCenter Server Appliance with an embedded Platform Services Controller. If you want to deploy the VM with an external Platform Services Controller, see the appropriate documentation from VMware.
You need the following to deploy vCenter Server Appliance:
- vCenter Server Appliance ISO image, which has been downloaded to a location that is available throughout the installation process
- IP address for vCenter Server Appliance
- Hostname and record created on DNS server, if required
Deploying the appliance
Deploy vCenter Server Appliance as follows:
- Open the vCenter Server Appliance installation ISO image.
In this example, we are using a Windows workstation. Depending on your workstation operating system, you might have to use an external utility to mount the ISO image.
- From the root of the ISO image, navigate to \vcsa-ui-installer\win32\.
- Double-click installer.exe.
- On the main menu of the installer, click Install.
- Review the introduction, and then click Next to continue.
- Review the End User License Agreement (EULA), select I accept the terms of the license agreement, and then click Next.
- Select vCenter Server with an Embedded Platform Services Controller and click Next.
- Type the requested information, as shown below, for the first management host that has a configured vSAN.
Figure 10. Management host details
- Confirm the details and then click Next.
- Verify the certificate thumbprint and click Yes.
- At Set up appliance VM, type a name and password for the VM, confirm the password, and then click Next.
- At Select deployment size, select sizes and click Next.
The deployment sizing screen includes a chart to help you select a deployment size.
- Select the datastore where vCenter Server Appliance will be located and click Next.
- On the Configure network settings page, type the requested information and click Next.
- Review the deployment settings and click Finish.
The installer displays a Deployment complete message and prompts you to continue to stage 2, appliance setup.
- Click Continue.
- Review the introduction and click Next.
- Select the time synchronization mode, type the NTP server information, and click Next.
- Type the requested single sign-on (SSO) information, including the SSO domain name and site name, and click Next.
- Review the information about the VMware Customer Experience Improvement Program, choose whether to participate, and then click Next.
- Review the summary information and, if it is correct, click Finish.
- Review the warning about stopping the installation, and click OK.
- When the installer completes the setup, make note of the URLs that are provided, and then click Close to exit the installer.