While technically not part of the logical build process, the physical deployment of the environment is a critical factor in setting up a functioning environment.
When racking the hardware, keep in mind that:
- At least two people are required to install the chassis. The MX7000 chassis is heavy and must be installed at the bottom of the rack. Start at the bottom of the rack and add a second unit on top of the first unit.
- The MX7000 chassis requires six power outlets per chassis. Ensure that enough outlets are available before racking the chassis.
- The MX7000 chassis requires special “double-density” QSFP+ cables for network connectivity. Ensure that the appropriate cables are available before installing the chassis. Use the correct length of cable because the cables are large and do not bend easily.
- When deploying more than two MX7000 chassis in a configuration, allocate one rack for every two chassis. Install the racks next to each other to allow for shorter cable runs and a cleaner setup.
- We recommend racking the gear by starting with the MX7000 chassis, then the PowerFlex storage-only nodes, then the PowerFlex management nodes, and finally the ToR management switch. This racking method ensures that the heaviest hardware is racked first. It also keeps the network and cable runs orderly.
Note: For the physical placement of the hardware components used in this POC, see Figure 8.