PowerMax SnapVX software allows you to create up to 256 local snapshots from each storage group, protecting the source data. These snapshots can be restored at any time and can be linked to up to 1,024 targets. A linked snapshot target allows direct access to the snapshot’s data. SnapVX instantly creates (or restores) copies of the database for purposes such as point-in-time protection, creation of test environments, and backup and recovery images.
SnapVX snapshots are:
- Consistent—All snapshots are natively “storage-consistent” (restartable database replicas). By following the best practices for Oracle backup and recovery, the snapshots can become “application-consistent” (recoverable database replicas), allowing database roll-forward recovery.
- Protected—All snapshots are protected. A snapshot can be restored over and over again (for example, during patch testing) until it is successful. Also, a snapshot can be linked to target devices that are then mounted by another server. Changes to the target devices don’t affect the original snapshot’s data.
- Named—All snapshots are given a user-friendly name when they are created. When the same name is used, a new generation of the snapshot is created for ease of management.
- Automatically expired—Optionally, snapshots can be given an automatic expiration date and time on which they terminate.
- Secure—Optionally, snapshots can be made secure. Secure snapshots cannot be deleted before their expiration date.
- Ad-hoc or scheduled—Snapshots can be taken at any time ad-hoc, or they can be scheduled using Unisphere.
For more information about SnapVX, see the Oracle Database Backup, Recovery, and Replications Best Practices with VMAX All Flash Storage White Paper.