VxRail depends on access to web services outside the customer data center for certain features and functionality to work. VxRail can be deployed and operated in a data center where access to the external network is blocked, but certain features will be inoperable and workarounds might be needed for some functions to work.
Figure 32. VxRail external network dependencies
- The VMware-branded software deployed on VxRail requires a VMware license. The licenses can be perpetual or based on a subscription licensing model. A perpetual license requires a key value retrieved from the VMware support site to be entered into vCenter. The subscription model requires access to the VMware cloud through a cloud gateway virtual appliance for license activation.
- VxRail can be configured to be registered directly with Dell support through VxRail Manager, thereby streamlining access to support services and product updates. VxRail Manager can be configured to directly connect with Dell support services or to use a proxy server to align with a customer’s networking security policies.
- Dell’s ”call-home” feature enables VxRail Manager to directly contact support services in the event of a serious or critical failure on the cluster, thereby expediting resolution with Dell support. The Dell Secure Connect Gateway virtual appliance can be deployed in the customer data center to consolidate call-home connectivity for Dell products in the data center.
If external network access to these sites is not allowed for VxRail:
- Work with VMware or your VMware partner to understand the licensing options.
- Downloads such as software updates must be performed without the aid of VxRail Manager and then transported to the data center for upload to VxRail Manager.
- Dell support personnel will not be able to configure a remote session to troubleshoot VxRail.
The data center network must be configured to enable VxRail to connect to these external sites for the described functionality and services to work. For guidance on the firewall rules for these services, see Appendix D: VxRail Open Ports Requirements.