This section is relevant only in situations where Fibre Channel storage will be positioned as the primary storage resource for a VxRail dynamic cluster.
If your plans include using storage resources on a Fibre Channel array to serve as the primary storage resource for a dynamic cluster, a VMFS datastore must be preconfigured on each VxRail node before initial cluster build commences.
Figure 44. Enabling Fibre Channel connectivity for dynamic clusters
Follow these guidelines to prepare your environment before initial cluster build:
- See the VxRail 8.x Support Matrix to verify that the Fibre Channel array on which you were planning to support dynamic clusters is compatible.
- Include Fibre Channel adapter cards with the VxRail order. Each node that is a member of a dynamic cluster requires Fibre Channel connectivity. At least one dual-port Fibre Channel adapter card should be installed for each VxRail node.
- Dell recommends a pair of Fibre Channel switches should be deployed for redundancy purposes to support the network topology.
- The minimum LUN size supported for VxRail dynamic clusters is 800 GB. Verify that you have sufficient capacity on your storage array for this purpose.
- If multiple VMFS datastores are detected, the largest free capacity on the primary host will be selected.
- LUN masking to all dynamic nodes must be performed before initial cluster build.
- LUNs must be formatted as a VMFS datastore in order to be supported for VxRail dynamic clusters.