Take the time to plan out your data center network for VxRail. The network considerations for VxRail are the same as that of any enterprise IT infrastructure: availability, performance, and extensibility.
VxRail is manufactured in the factory per your purchase order, and delivered to your data center ready for deployment. The VxRail nodes can connect to any compatible network infrastructure to enable operations. Follow all the guidance and decision points that are described in this document. If there are separate teams for network and servers in your data center, work together to design the network and configure the switches.
- Select the VxRail hardware and physical network infrastructure that best aligns with your business and operational objectives.
- Plan and prepare for VxRail implementation in your data center before product delivery.
- Set up the network switch infrastructure in your data center for VxRail before product delivery.
- Prepare for physical installation and VxRail initialization into the final product.
The VxRail nodes connect to one or more network switches to form a VxRail cluster. VxRail communicates with the physical data center network through one or more VMware VDS that is deployed in the VxRail cluster. The VMware VDS integrates with the physical network infrastructure to provide connectivity for the virtual infrastructure, and enable virtual network traffic to pass through the physical switch infrastructure. In this relationship, the physical switch infrastructure serves as a backplane, supporting network traffic between virtual machines in the cluster, and enabling virtual machine mobility and resiliency.
In addition, the physical network infrastructure enables I/O operations between the storage objects in the VxRail VMware vSAN data store. It also provides connectivity to applications and end-users outside of the VxRail cluster.
- VxRail clusters and nodes
- Network switch
- Data Center Network
- Topology and connections
- Workstation or laptop
- Out of band management (optional)