Dynamic clusters differentiate themselves from other VxRail cluster types with the resource that is selected for primary storage. With other cluster types, there is a dependency on the local vSAN data store as the primary storage resource. With a dynamic cluster, the nodes that are used to build the cluster do not have local disk drives. Therefore, an external storage resource is required to support workload and applications.
- You already have an investment in compatible external storage resources in your data centers that can serve as primary storage for a dynamic cluster. You already have an investment in compatible external storage resources in your data centers that can serve as primary storage for a dynamic cluster.
- The business and operational requirements for the applications that are targeted for the VxRail cluster can be better served with existing storage resources.
- The likelihood of stranded assets through node expansion is less likely with a dynamic cluster.
- Verify that the storage resource in the data center you plan for VxRail dynamic clusters is supported. See the support matrix for dynamic nodes on the VxRail Product Support to verify compatibility.
- The target data center for the VxRail dynamic cluster must already have deployed one of the supported options for primary storage.
- VxRail publishes a guide to assist you in preparing your data center storage for a VxRail dynamic cluster at Configure External Storage of VxRail Dynamic Node Cluster. Use the technical documentation provided for the selected external storage to prepare the storage for a VxRail dynamic cluster.
- Any performance issues that are diagnosed at the storage level may be related to infrastructure outside of VxRail, and must be managed separately.
- A dynamic cluster does not have the same level of visibility and control of an external storage resource in comparison to a local vSAN data store.