- One external management VLAN
- One internal management VLAN with multicast for auto-discovery and device management. The default is 3939.
- One VLAN with unicast (starting with VxRail v4.5.0) or multicast (before v4.5.0) for vSAN traffic
- One VLAN for vSphere vMotion
- One or more VLANs for your VM Guest Networks
- One VLAN for vCenter Server Network (if applicable)
- If you are enabling witness traffic separation, reserve one VLAN for the VxRail witness traffic separation network.
- Select the Time zone.
- Select the Top-Level Domain.
- Hostname or IP address of the NTP servers on your network (recommended)
- IP address of the DNS servers on your network (if external DNS)
- Forward and reverse DNS records for VxRail management components (if external DNS).
- Decide on your VxRail host naming scheme. The naming scheme will be applied to all VxRail management components.
- Reserve three or more IP addresses for ESXi hosts.
- Reserve one IP address for VxRail Manager.
- Determine default gateway and subnet mask.
- Select passwords for VxRail management components.
- Determine whether you will use a vCenter Server that is customer-supplied or a vCenter provided by VxRail.
- VxRail vCenter Server: Reserve IP addresses for vCenter Server and PSC (if supplied by VxRail).
- Customer-supplied vCenter Server: Determine hostname and IP address for vCenter and PSC, administration user, and name of vSphere data center. Create a
- VxRail management user in vCenter. Select a unique VxRail cluster name. (Optional) Create a VxRail non-admin user.
Virtual Distributed Switch
- Determine whether you will preconfigure a customer-supplied virtual-distributed switch or have VxRail deploy a virtual-distributed switch in your vCenter instance.
- Customer-supplied Virtual Distributed Switch: Configure target port groups for required VxRail networks.
- Decide whether you want to use the default TCP-IP stack for vMotion, or a separate IP addressing scheme for the dedicated vMotion TCP-IP stack.
- Reserve three or more contiguous IP addresses and a subnet mask for vSphere vMotion.
- Select the gateway for either the default TCP-IP stack, or the dedicated vMotion TCP-IP stack.
- Reserve three or more contiguous IP addresses and a subnet mask for vSAN, if using vSAN for primary storage
- To use vRealize Log Insight: Reserve one IP address.
- To use an existing syslog server: Get the hostname or IP address of your third-party syslog server.
- Configure your workstation/laptop to reach the VxRail initial IP address.
- Ensure you know how to configure the laptop to reach the VxRail Manager IP address after configuration.
Set up Switches
- Configure your selected external management VLAN (default is untagged/native).
- Configure your internal management VLAN.
- Confirm multicast is enabled for device discovery.
- Configure your selected VLANs for vSAN, vSphere vMotion, vCenter Server Network and VM Guest Networks.
- If applicable, configure your Witness traffic separation VLAN.
- In dual-switch environments, configure the interswitch links to carry traffic between switches.
- Configure uplinks or point-to-points links to carry networks requiring external connectivity upstream.
- Configure one port as an access port for laptop/workstation to connect to VxRail Manager for initial configuration.
- Confirm configuration and network access.
- Configure your workstation/laptop to reach the VxRail Manager initial IP address.
- Configure the laptop to reach the VxRail Manager IP address after permanent IP address assignment.