PowerScale SmartConnect acts as a DNS delegation server to return IP addresses for SmartConnect zones, generally for load-balancing connections to the PowerScale cluster. SmartConnect can continue to provide data availability without any user or application interruption if there is a PowerScale node failure or preventative maintenance.
Note: Consult your DMA vendor documentation check if DMA supports the PowerScale SmartConnect feature for NDMP backup and restore operations.
SmartConnect allows the filer to distribute the NDMP sessions across the PowerScale nodes or the backup accelerator nodes. The filer configures and controls the distribution algorithm. SmartConnect can look up for both single and multi-stream NDMP sessions.
Note the following considerations regarding NDMP and SmartConnect integration:
- The NDMP two-way backup solution with SmartConnect requires Fibre Attached Storage node for backup and restore operations.
- The NDMP three-way backup solution with SmartConnect does not require Fibre Attached Storage nodes for backup and restore operations.
- For the NDMP two-way backup solution with SmartConnect, you can initiate the backup session on DMA through a dedicated SmartConnect zone. This zone consists of a pool of NICs on the Fibre attached storage nodes.
- For NDMP two-way backup without SmartConnect, you can initiate the backup session on DMA through a static IP address or FQDN of the Fibre attached storage node.
- For the NDMP three-way backup solution, the front-end Ethernet network or the network interfaces of the PowerScale nodes are used to serve the backup and restore traffic. We recommend initiating NDMP sessions on DMA through the PowerScale nodes that are only used for NDMP operations. This configuration ensures that it does not compete with things that are performance sensitive like SMB and NFS user activity.
- For the NDMP three-way backup solution with or without SmartConnect, you can initiate the NDMP backup session on DMA using the IP addresses of the PowerScale nodes. The IP addresses can be identified and connected for running the NDMP sessions.