Use the following procedure to download, modify, and deploy the custom WinPE image for a BMR of a Windows target computer.
- Download the custom WinPE image from the PowerProtect Data Manager server.
- If the WinPE ISO image does not contain the drivers for the NIC or disk devices on the source host that you are recovering, and you do not want to load the drivers from a separate disk during the BMR, add the drivers to the WinPE image. For more information, see the section ”Add NIC or disk drivers to the custom WinPE image” in the PowerProtect Data Manager File System User Guide.
- Use one of the following methods to deploy the WinPE image:
- To boot the target host locally, burn the WinPE image to a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
- To boot the target host over the network, copy the WinPE image to a Windows Deployment Services (WDS) server. For more information, see the section “Add the custom WinPE image to a Windows Deployment Services server” in the PowerProtect Data Manager File System User Guide.
Download the custom WinPE ISO image from PowerProtect Data Manager
When a recovery of a system is required, you can download the Windows BMR ISO image from the PowerProtect Data Manager UI. This image contains the necessary files to boot and create a WinPE system with a PowerProtect Data Manager Bare Metal Recovery Wizard that is used and started as part of the restore.
In the PowerProtect Data Manager UI, go to Settings > Downloads. Click WinPE and click Download to download the WinPE ISO file. This downloaded .iso file is for computers with a 64-bit version of Windows operating systems and supports both BIOS-based and UEFI-based systems.
Figure 11. Location to download WinPE ISO from Data Manager UI