SQL Server 2017 offers industry-leading OLTP, OLAP, and hybrid transaction and analytical processing (HTAP) capabilities in a single database product. Organizations can achieve improved performance, better management control, and greater resiliency when upgrading from SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008. Important new SQL Server improvements include:
- In-memory database features that can increase transactional performance by 30 to 100 times for many queries
- Support for multiple platforms including Linux, Linux-based Docker containers, and Windows
- Automatic database tuning that proactively notifies you when a potential performance problem is detected and lets you make changes or lets the Database Engine fix the problem
- Always On availability groups, which allow databases to remain in service in the event of an unplanned server outage
- Better tools to manage data across the enterprise
- Capability to develop systems of insight by using unstructured data with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power BI for better decision analysis
For more information, see What’s new in SQL Server 2017.