We ran several test cases to demonstrate the capabilities of the PowerMax system for performance. For all these tests, we used a standard benchmarking tool to drive workloads from SQL Server instances. While the workloads ran, we monitored the database transaction rate (TPM) and Windows Server performance, then we charted and analyzed the results.
Our tests demonstrate a minimal performance configuration of a single-brick PowerMax 8000 with 30 NAND-Flash drives and 8 SCM drives. The results show how, in this small configuration, multiple SQL Server database workloads can achieve predictable performance when using PowerMax. PowerMax release Q3 2019, with end-to-end NVMe, 32 Gb FC and SCM drive support, provides the highest level of performance at very low response times for mission-critical SQL Server databases. We used the following SQL Server test cases:
- Test case 1—Quality of Service (QoS) test using a single SQL Server running at the Diamond service level. This test case shows how PowerMax with SCM drives provides the highest level of performance with very low response times.
- Test case 2—Scale test using multiple SQL Server databases running at Diamond service levels. This test case shows how PowerMax can effectively support multiple demanding applications while maintaining high performance and low latencies.
- Test case 3—Performance upgrade test for applications to support special performance requirements for quarter-end and other demanding work flows. This test case shows how effectively application service levels on PowerMax can be managed to support high performance requirements for special purposes.
- Test case 4—Onboard test for applications in a consolidated environment. This test case shows how effectively new upcoming applications can be consolidated on PowerMax alongside existing workloads.
- Test case 5—Noisy neighbor test for Predictable performance of mission critical applications. This test case shows the effectiveness of PowerMax systems in managing noisy neighbors with minimal or no impact to mission-critical applications.
- Test case 6—End-to-end NVMe test for SQL Server running on Linux. This test shows high performance at the best response times for the applications.
- Test case 7—Bandwidth test for SQL Server DSS environments running on PowerMax. This test demonstrates the high level of sequential read bandwidth available on the PowerMax platform for decision support systems and data warehouse environments.