Traffic on the External Management network, VLAN 1811, must be able to reach the DNS server on the external network during VxRail deployment. To accomplish this with L3 uplinks, an IP address is assigned to virtual network 1811 on each leaf switch. An anycast gateway (or virtual router) address shared by all leafs is also configured on the same network.
Since this is on virtual network 1811, available IP addresses in the 172.18.11.0/24 address block are used per the planning data in Table 3.
|Leaf1A IP address||172.18.11.253/24|
|Leaf1B IP address||172.18.11.252/24|
|Gateway IP address||172.18.11.254/24|
The IP addresses and gateway are configured as follows:
- From a workstation, launch the SFS UI.
- On the SFS UI Home page, select 3. Update Network Configuration. The Update Network Configuration window opens.
- Next to Network, select the External Management network, Management Network 1811, from the drop-down list.
- Next to Enable IP Address, select IPv4.Note: When IPv4 is selected, additional fields display, as shown in the figure below.
- Next to Interface IP Addresses, enter an interface IP address for each leaf switch in the SmartFabric as shown in Table 11. Click the blue Add button to add IP address entry fields.Note: If you plan to expand the fabric, additional leaf switches will also need IP addresses on this network, with one IP address per leaf. This is covered in Expand SmartFabric and VxRail cluster to multirack.
- Enter the Prefix Length for the IP addresses and a Gateway IP Address. These values are from Table 11.
- When complete, the Update Network Configuration window shows the following configuration options:
- Click OK.
If BGP is used on the uplinks, ensure the external switches have learned the routes to the VxRail External Management network, 172.18.11.0/24 in this example, to reach the VxRail nodes and VxRail Manager. This is done with the
show ip route command. The BGP-discovered route to 172.18.11.0/24 is shown in bold in the output below.
External-A# show ip route Codes: C - connected S - static B - BGP, IN - internal BGP, EX - external BGP O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area, N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2, E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, * - candidate default, + - summary route, > - non-active route Gateway of last resort is not set Destination Gateway Dist/Metric Change ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- C 10.0.2.1/32 via 10.0.2.1 loopback0 0/0 18:36:55 B IN 10.0.2.2/32 via 192.168.3.21 200/0 18:16:18 C 172.19.11.0/24 via 172.19.11.252 vlan1911 0/0 18:29:16 B EX 172.18.11.0/24 via 192.168.1.1 20/0 16:02:33 via 192.168.1.3 C 192.168.1.0/31 via 192.168.1.0 ethernet1/1/13 0/0 21:10:53 C 192.168.1.2/31 via 192.168.1.2 ethernet1/1/14 0/0 18:36:56 B IN 192.168.2.0/31 via 192.168.3.21 200/0 21:10:51 B IN 192.168.2.2/31 via 192.168.3.21 200/0 18:16:18 C 192.168.3.20/31 via 192.168.3.20 vlan4000 0/0 18:29:12