In our use case test, we created storage snapshots of the Oracle and SQL Server databases running a light OLTP workload. We then ran the snapshot workload in parallel with the OLTP and OLAP workloads to show the cumulative load that was placed on the database infrastructure. Our goal was to create focused solutions for the most challenging workloads.
Our testing of the storage performance of the PowerMax 8000 array included the following goals:
- Generate a significant mixed database workload to challenge the PowerMax 8000 storage array.
- Drive a combination of IOPS and submillisecond latency that is representative of the demand on a mixed workload ecosystem.
Our testing of this solution included the following guidelines:
- We designed, integrated, tested, validated, and documented this reference architecture for mixed database workloads. No single size fits all needs. You can customize the tested configuration to meet your specific mixed database workload needs.
- We ran SQL Server and Oracle OLTP databases on the reference architecture in parallel.
- We ran OLTP, OLAP, and snapshot OLTP workloads from both databases on the reference architecture in parallel.
- We tested the PowerMax snapshot capability by creating snapshots of both databases and running an OLTP workload on the snapshots.