Organizations from every industry are in a digital race to turn data into business outcomes faster. Computer vision can play an important role in that effort by accelerating time to value with its ability to connect video and other data at the edge with broader centralized information systems.
From situational awareness to tracking customer flow to optimizing supply chains, the opportunities to improve outcomes using computer vision in stadiums and entertainment venues are immeasurable. Progress, however, is often impeded by operational and design complexities. How can an organization match the right systems to the right workflow requirements and use those workflows to achieve the desired outcomes? This white paper shows how the Dell Validated Design for Computer Vision solution can address these needs.
Following the lessons learned from the controls and precautions put in place during the COVID-19 pandemic, existing protocols must be enhanced that support government and WHO directives to ensure fan safety in stadiums and venues. New integrated, paperless IT solutions are needed to allow owners and operators of venues to incorporate these new measures with their existing safety and security systems while minimizing disruption to the fan experience. Operational benefits from this approach include reducing wait times to access turnstiles, maximizing revenue from food and beverage areas, proactively managing potential crowd flow choke points throughout the venue, protecting perimeters from forced entry, and detecting suspicious behavior.
Computer vision can be used in several ways to enhance the fan experience, improve security, and optimize operations.
- Crowd management:
- Monitor crowd flow, density in crowded areas, and potential choke points.
- Prevent overcrowding in specific areas.
- Identify active regions that require additional staff or resources to manage the flow of people.
- Identify potential threats from unattended bags.
- Detect suspicious behavior.
- Detect individuals who have been banned from the stadium or who are on watch lists.
- Fan engagement:
- Provide real-time statistics and player information on scoreboards or mobile apps.
- Enable fans to participate in interactive games and challenges during the event.
- Operations optimization:
- Monitor parking lot traffic.
- Direct fans to available spaces.
- Monitor concession stands and restrooms to identify areas that need additional resources.