Microsoft Azure Arc simplifies the management and governance of complex environments that are spread across core on-premises, multi-cloud, and across edge. Azure Arc provides a single control plane by extending non-Azure resources from on-premises, multi-cloud, or edge into the Azure Resource Manager. Azure Arc extends the Azure data services and management capabilities to any infrastructure. These services fulfill the rapidly increasing hybrid cloud requirements across the organizations.
Azure Arc enables users to manage the following resource types from any infrastructure-
- Azure Arc-enabled servers
- Windows and Linux operating system
- Azure Arc-enabled Kubernetes
- Azure Arc-enabled data services
- SQL Managed Instance
- PostgreSQL HyperScale
- Azure Arc-enabled SQL server
SQL Managed Instance tiers
Azure Arc-enabled SQL Managed Instance enables the deployment of Azure SQL data services anywhere. Microsoft committed to deliver this service with total compatibility with the SQL Server database engine and integrated management capabilities.
The SQL Managed Instance provides two tiers:
- General purpose – This purpose suffices for many workloads requiring standard performance and high availability. The PowerFlex Software-Defined Storage (SDS) system provides a highly available and resilient platform with robust data protection and management services. A combination of the general-purpose tier with a PowerFlex system is often sufficient for most needs.
- Business critical – The business-critical tier is suitable for databases requiring the highest level of availability with no limits of CPU cores or memory per instance. High availability (HA) is achieved by deploying multiple replicas and using Microsoft SQL Always On availability groups. Azure Arc-enabled data services with a SQL Managed Instance, creates an availability group, and all databases are automatically added to the group. Applications can also benefit from read scale out to offload read-intensive workloads to secondary replicas.
Note: For more information, see the Microsoft release notes. Dell EMC PowerFlex is an Azure Arc validated Storage and Hyperconverged platform optimized to run hybrid data workloads. For more information about Azure Arc services, see Azure Arc- Extend Azure management and services anywhere.