DBAs, IT administrators, and application developers constantly face challenges ranging from technical debt, to managing widespread decentralization, to delays in provisioning and lack of resource elasticity. To address these challenges, Microsoft and Dell Technologies provide a tightly integrated, engineered architecture that simplifies life cycle management, automates administrative tasks, leverages public cloud platform services, and delivers resilience and performance to meet SLAs.
Here are the key takeaways from our performance and functional testing:
- The hybrid DBaaS platform was flexible and simple to manage using existing skill sets and familiar graphical and command-line tools. Automation and orchestration included with the system has the potential to significantly reduce operational expenses.
- Each layer of the solution architecture was designed to be highly available and to recover seamlessly from various failure conditions.
- Each layer of the solution architecture was elastic – capable of independently scaling up and scaling out to address shifting workload demands.
- The platform achieved significant density, performance, and high availability of containerized SQL database workloads using out-of-box features and functionality. AKS hybrid and the Azure Arc-enabled data services data controller evenly distributed the HammerDB load across all Azure Stack HCI cluster resources in a fully automated fashion. We did not have to perform extensive engineering research to plan the most efficient placement of resources. The platform’s services intelligently accomplished this for us and removed any guess work.
- We observed respectable TPMs for containerized SQL databases supporting cloud native applications. This was primarily attributable to the intelligent and automated distribution of resources across the entire hardware investment.
In short, a hybrid DBaaS platform based on Dell Integrated System for Microsoft Azure Stack HCI enables organizations to create modern cloud-native applications that deliver exceptional customer value.