VCF 5.0 supports the ability to deploy a VI WLD with external storage as primary storage with no VxRail managed vSAN. This feature allows support for a VxRail dynamic node cluster with three nodes or more to be added to a VI WLD. These nodes contain no internal storage disks normally required for vSAN.
The following requirements must be met before deploying a VxRail dynamic node cluster with FC storage as primary storage.
Supported storage arrays:
- Unity XT
Supported FC HBAs:
- Emulex LPE 35002 Dual Port 32 Gb HBA
- Emulex LPE 31002 Dual Port 16 Gb HBA
- QLogic 2772 Dual Port 32 Gb HBA
- QLogic 2692 Dual Port 16 Gb HBA
Storage configuration required:
- Zoning of the VxRail nodes to the storage system
- Creation and masking of the LUN to the VxRail nodes
- 900 GB of free space on the volume
- Formatting the LUN with a Virtual Machine File System (VMFS)
If multiple datastores are discovered during VxRail Day 1 workflow, the largest one will be selected as the primary datastore for the VxRail systems.
If multiple datastores are discovered of the same size, a random one will be selected during VxRail Day 1 workflow.