Introduced in VCF 4.3.1 is the ability to deploy a VI WLD with external storage as primary storage with no VxRail managed vSAN. This allows support for a dynamic node cluster with 3 nodes or more to be added to a VI WLD. These nodes contain no internal storage disks normally required for vSAN.
The following requirements must be met before deploying a VxRail cluster with FC storage as primary storage.
Supported storage arrays:
Supported FC HBA:
- Emulex LPE 35002 Dual Port 32 Gb HBA
- Emulex LPE 31002 Dual Port 16 Gb HBA
- QLogic 2772 Dual Port 32 Gb HBA
- QLogic 2692 Dual Port 16 Gb HBA
Storage Configuration required:
- Zoning of the Vxrail nodes to the Storage system
- Creation and Masking of the LUN to the VxRail nodes
- 900GB of free space on the Volume
- Formatting the LUN with a Virtual Machine File system (VMFS)
- If multiped datastore are discovered during VxRail Day 1 workflow the largest one will be selected as the primary datastore for the VxRail systems
- If multiped datastore are discovered with the same size a random one will be select during VxRail Day 1 workflow.
Note: Currently Workflow Optimization for VI WLD deployments does not support the use of dynamic nodes, this will be available in the next release of VCF.