This section divides the PowerFlex best practices into three categories for better understanding.
Ensure that the following best practices are applied before deploying the PowerFlex rack:
- Six or more number of nodes must be deployed for production workload in a PowerFlex HCI configuration.
- Homogenous node types must be used for a predictable performance.
- The maximum number of devices in a storage pool is 300.
- The maximum number of SDS nodes in one protection domain is 128.
- Change the passwords for all default accounts.
- Use a secure communication - HTTPS (TCP port 443) to remotely access the PowerFlex nodes.
- The PowerFlex rack is compliant with the latest RCM built.
Ensure that the following best practices are applied to the PowerFlex networking:
- Confirm with the PowerFlex platform team to enable Jumbo frames for Windows VM, Linux VM, SVM, or an ESXi host.
- If a node running an SDS has aggregated links to the switch and is running Linux, the hash mode on Linux must be configured to use the xmit_hash_policy=layer2+3 or xmit_hash_policy=layer3+4 bonding option.
- Ensure that on Linux, the miimon=100 bonding option is used. This option directs Linux to verify the status of each physical link every 100 milliseconds.
- Enable secure network protocol options only (for example, HTTPS and SSH).
- Separate the management and control traffic from production application traffic. You can use VLANs to separate the traffic.
- Ensure that each node has at least two separate network connections for redundancy, regardless of throughput requirements.
For more information, see Dell EMC PowerFlex: Networking Best Practices and Design Considerations.
PowerFlex operating system
Ensure that the following best practices are applied to the PowerFlex operating system:
- Configure a high-performance profile for MDM, SDS, and SDC.
- Disable the Read Flash Cache and Read RAM cache for all the flash clusters.
- Check with the PowerFlex platform team to increase the per device queue length value to 256 per host for improving the I/O concurrency.
- Ensure that the customize power plan is set to high performance.
- Ensure that you change SDS threads according to the cores available to SDS nodes. For current reference architecture SDS threads are set to 12.
- Ensure that you use the noop I/O scheduler for all the SSD devices discovered on SDC hosts.
For more information about general best practices to use PowerFlex system, See PowerFlex tuning guide.