The Dell Plug-in for Oracle Enterprise Manager (Oracle EM) provides a proactive approach to data center management. The plug-in delivers features for monitoring Dell servers and chassis infrastructures and Dell PowerFlex in environments managed by Oracle EM. The capability to monitor PowerEdge servers, Dell PowerFlex within Oracle EM demonstrates Dell’s commitment to integrate with Oracle and improve customer outcomes.
The plug-in equips database or IT administrators with the necessary information to make rapid and informed decisions about the data center. These decisions can impact the availability of data center resources, help increase productivity, and reduce costs.
Key features of Dell Plug-in for Oracle EM include:
- Discovery, inventory, and monitoring of Dell hardware: The Dell Plug-in enables the data center customers to discover Dell devices, provides inventory information, and allows customers to periodically monitor the health of the following Dell devices:
- Dell PowerEdge 12th generation (12G) to 15th generation (15G) servers using Dell OpenManage Enterprise.
- Dell PowerFlex 3.6
- Mapping of Oracle database workloads to Dell hardware – Databases and servers are linked together automatically based on the server hostname. This feature allows database administrators to quickly pinpoint outage or performance issues that may occur in the Oracle infrastructure, enabling a faster response from the database administrators.
- Device specific one-to-one console launch from the Oracle EM console: The Dell Plug-in allows the administrator to take corrective action and further enables the DBAs and IT administrators to perform troubleshooting once the issue has been identified through link and launch of device-specific element management tools. It also helps to perform configuration, update, and management of Dell devices. The one-to-one Dell tools that are supported by the Dell Plug-in through the Oracle EM console includes the Dell PowerFlex presentation console.
- One-to-many console launch of Dell plug-in from OEM: This feature enables administrators to view detailed inventory information about Dell PowerEdge Servers and perform configuration, update, and management of multiple Dell hardware through the Dell OpenManage Enterprise.
The following list provides a summary of key features offered by Dell PowerFlex gateway target UI in the new Dell Plug-in for OracleEM 2.0.
- Labeling PowerFlex nodes such as SDC, SDS associated to Oracle database hosts in Oracle EM
- Dashboard displaying PowerFlex cluster details including total, used, and free storage capability of the PowerFlex cluster
- Total, used, and free storage capacity of all volumes attached to the SDC host server
- Latency metrics and IOPs of all volumes attached to the SDC host server
- Throughput metrics of all volumes attached to the SDC host server
- Display the databases residing on the SDC host and provides quick link to the corresponding database pages in Oracle EM
- Dashboard with graphical display of overall performance including bandwidth, latency, and IOPs for all SDC hosts combined
- Display alerts associated to the SDC hosts which has Oracle database
- Link to the PowerFlex console like the PowerFlex Manager and Presentation Console from plug-in target UI
The following list summarizes the key features offered by Dell OpenManage Enterprise target available in Dell plug-in for Oracle EM.
- Discovers and adds the Dell PowerEdge 14G and15G servers, available in OpenManage Enterprise in Oracle EM
- Populates all information available for servers like server model, name, iDRAC IP address, asset tag, and more in the plug-in target UI
- Provides list of the Oracle databases residing on each server, and displays the database metrics like active session, total memory, and state.
- Classifies the PowerEdge servers into meaningful categories like Monolithic or modular and various operating system categories such as Windows, Linux, and VMware ESXi
- Monitors and display details server components like number of CPU cores, memory, size, and more
- Allows users to see device alerts from OpenManage Enterprise in the plug-in target UI
- Quick launch link to open OpenManage console from the plug-in target UI
Note: The Dell Plug-in for Oracle EM integrates with Dell OpenManage Enterprise, Dell PowerFlex gateway to retrieve corresponding hardware information to the Oracle EM console. Dell OpenManage Enterprise is a mandatory component that must be installed on a physical server or virtual machine for monitoring Dell servers. Multiple plug-in instances may be pointed at the same Oracle EM environment at a given time. This includes instances on the same Oracle Management Agent (OMA) or on a separate OMA. However, each additional plug-in instance increases the total number of queries made to the Dell Plug-in environment.