This section describes the core components of the management solution and 3-Tier Platform virtual infrastructure.
vSphere is highly configurable, which can make it an attractive hypervisor choice for organizations, whether they choose a private cloud, a public cloud, or a hybrid cloud approach. Key components and features of vSphere include:
- VMware ESXi: Type 1 hypervisor that abstracts processors, memory, storage, and other resources into multiple VMs.
- VMware vCenter Server: Central control point for data center management services, providing a single view of all ESXi hosts.
- VMware vSphere Client: HTML5-based management interface that enables users to remotely connect to VMware vCenter Server.
- VMware vSphere vMotion: Feature that enables live migration for powered-on VMs in the same data center.
- VMware vSphere Storage vMotion: Feature that enables the live migration of virtual disks or configuration files to a new datastore while a VM is running.
- VMware vSphere HA: Services that restart failed VMs on other available servers.