The Dell Validated Design for Manufacturing Edge with PTC consists of the following components:
- PTC ThingWorx Foundation Suite
- PTC Digital Performance Management
- PTC Kepware Server and Kepware Edge
- Three–node Dell EMC VxRail Hyperconverged Infrastructure system
- PostgreSQL database system
- Microsoft SQL Server database
- Apache Tomcat Web Server
- Industrial Gateway Devices
- Environmental sensors
The following is a high-level description of the Dell Validated Design for Manufacturing Edge with PTC :
- VMware vSphere and vSAN support virtual manchines, or VMs, for PTC applications and other components running on VxRail.
- One or more sets of VM-based deployment of the PTC application stack support a broad range of industrial devices and use cases with role-based access controls, high availability, and disaster recovery considerations.
- PostgreSQL databases and Apache Tomcat services support each deployment of the PTC ThingWorx Foundation Suite.
- PTC Kepware Servers aggregate the data ingest from devices supporting a broad range of protocols and data types, and then send that data to the PTC ThingWorx instance.
- PTC Kepware Edge runs on industrial gateway devices or as a VM on VxRail to aggregate data ingest from devices supporting a set of protocols and data types, and then sends that data to the PTC ThingWorx instance.
Subsequent chapters describe each of the components in detail and discuss considerations and best practices.